Comply With Style Standards
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Disclosure Documents and other Franchise topics.
Are there standards for writing the Uniform Franchise Offering Circular (UFOC)?
Your franchise information is presented to the prospective franchisee in the form of a standardized document called the Uniform Franchise Offering Circular (UFOC). Both content and style are standardized. Style standards include:
- State all material facts in an accurate and unambiguous manner.
- Write clearly, concisely and in a narrative form that is understandable by people unfamiliar with the franchise business.
- Avoid legal verbiage and repetitive phrases.
- When possible use active, not passive voice.
- Limit the length and complexity of disclosure through careful organization of information.
- Avoid technical language and unnecessary detail.
Make the format and chronological order consistent within each item.